“O hotel será composto por 163 quartos e suites, restaurante, rooftop com piscina e ginásio. Incluirá ainda um importante centro de conferências”
Portugal Golden Visa from 280 000 euros
No extra fees
If you are looking for an opportunity to invest and become a resident in Europe, that is definitively the right program for you. The program’s main benefits are the various choices of investments, fast processing, and a minimal requirement for residency. This makes Golden Visa the fastest-growing investment immigration program in Europe.
Mercan Group* attracts private investors wishing to obtain the Golden Visa Portugal to build new hotels under the brands of the largest hotel groups Marriott, Hilton and Intercontinental Hotel Group
*Mercan was founded in 1989, specializing in development investment projects in the tourism sector. During its work in Portugal, Mercan Group has developed 12 projects with a total value of 211 million euros. Mercan has a presence in Portugal, Canada, China, India, United Arab Emirates, United States and Vietnam.
with investments from 280,000 euros
in the form of commercial real estate
on investments from 350 000 euros
Property purchase, management, documentation, reporting
Investment can be refundable after 5 years (Depends on the project)
“Com vista para o rio Douro, o novo hotel de quatro estrelas ficará localizado na Rua do General Torres e será servido por piscina, bar, ginásio e spa”
“Projeto com o selo da cadeia Marriott cria 50 postos de trabalho diretos num país "hospitaleiro e seguro”
“Com 108 apartamentos, restaurante, esplanada e ginásio o Four Points by Sheraton Matosinhos deverá abrir a tempo do próximo Verão”
“A cidade de Évora está na mira de mais um grupo hoteleiro, que pretende criar um novo hotel na cidade património mundial.”
“Hilton today announced an agreement to open Sé Catedral Hotel Porto, Tapestry Collection by Hilton – a unique 77-room property that will bring an exciting new guest experience to Portugal’s second-largest city ”
You become the owner of the property in Portugal, and the title deed will be issued in your name. The title is registered with the state authorities in Portugal.
In addition to the certificate of ownership, some of our projects offer a full guarantee of your investment and 3% in the form of annual income. Our other projects offer a partial guarantee and a higher annual income. For more information contact us to discuss details
You can list your wife (husband) and children on your immigration application. Children can be under 18 years of age or in school and financially dependent on you (you pay for their education and other expenses).
Your parents and your spouse's parents can also be included if they are over 65. If they are under 65, you need to show that they are financially dependent on you.
You and your family will receive the status of a resident of Portugal. You will be allowed to live, work, study and conduct business in Portugal.
Your visa will also allow you to make short visits (90 days or less) to any other European Union country as a tourist. This means that you will no longer need a Schengen visa.
The procedure takes 4 to 6 months after your application is submitted to the Portuguese Immigration Service (SEF). At the end of the procedure, you and your family members will receive a residence permit
The procedure can be divided into 5 steps:
- You have to collect some simple documents to open your personal bank account. You can come to Portugal or do it online. In this case, you will need to sign a power of attorney with a lawyer;
- After opening a bank account, you must transfer the necessary funds to your account in Portugal. As soon as the funds arrive in your account, a share in one of our projects worth 280 or 350 thousand euros will be purchased in your name;
- After that, you must collect documents for the Portuguese Immigration Service (SEF), such as: certificates of criminal records, marriage certificate, birth certificates of children, etc;
- The set of documents is submitted to the SEF for verification. This step usually takes 1.5 to 3 months;
- Once the SEF has completed the verification of your documents, you and your family must come to Portugal for the SEF to take your fingerprints. This is the last step before the procedure is completed.
Resident cards will be issued approximately 1.5 to 3 months after your fingerprints are taken.
You can do everything online or come especially for this purpose. You can open your bank account in Portugal and buy a share in the project by a lawyer with a power of attorney. However, you and your family members must come to Portugal to be fingerprinted at the Portuguese immigration office
After obtaining a residence permit, you and your family members must stay in Portugal for at least
- 7 days 1st year;
- 14 days for the 2nd and 3rd year combined;
- 14 days for the 4th and 5th year combined.
During your visit to Portugal, you can stay free of charge in the hotel of which you are a co-owner. Free accommodation is granted for the period necessary to maintain residency status
First of all, you automatically become a citizen of the European Union. This allows you, if you want, to settle in any country of the European Union.
Second, the Portuguese passport is one of the most secure passports in the world:
- The passport gives you access to 185 countries without an additional visa (as of March 2019);
- The equivalent of American, British and Swiss passports:
- Stronger than Canada's passport, which gives you access to "only" 184 countries.
After five years as a resident, you can apply for Portuguese citizenship. Essentially, you must meet two main criteria:
- You must demonstrate that you meet the conditions of your residency status (minimum stay in Portugal 7 days per year and no problems with crime);
- You must submit the result of a Portuguese language test showing a basic level.
The citizenship procedure will take 6 to 12 months.
Yes. Unlike Spain and some other European countries, Portugal allows dual citizenship. This means that you can keep the citizenship of your country of origin
Generally, you will only pay taxes in Portugal on income earned inside Portugal, and there is no income tax on your income outside of Portugal.
The only exception is if you are physically in Portugal for more than 183 days per year. In this case, you become a tax resident in Portugal and must declare all your income in Portugal. At the same time, you can apply for NHR status in Portugal and receive preferential tax treatment. We recommend consulting an accountant in Portugal on this matter.
If you are able to make the investment, your file will only be rejected if you have a serious crime problem.
Anyone at least 18 years old can apply for immigration under Portugal's Golden Visa program.
You do not have to have experience in business or even work at the moment. You just have to be able to prove that the amount of 280,000 or 350,000 euros came from a legal source (e.g. accumulated savings, profit from a company, gift from a family member, inheritance, etc.).
If you choose to live in Portugal, you can live anywhere in Portugal. You are NOT obliged to live in the same city as the object in which you invested.
Yes. Your spouse or children may apply for the Gold Visa on their own. In fact, any child 18 years of age or older can file independently. As mentioned earlier, he or she must simply show where the funds are coming from.
- Signing an cooperation agreement
- Approval of a package of legal services
- Bank account opening
- Purchase of real estate
- Application to the Portuguese Immigration Service (SEF)
- Application approval
- Fingerprinting at the immigration office
- Obtaining a residence card for Portugal
- Renewal of the Portuguese residence card
- Obtaining Portuguese citizenship or permanent residency card
First of all, you need to sign a cooperation agreement with Mercan, after which a lawyer will prepare the necessary package of documents. Namely:
- power of attorney from the applicant;
- Power of attorney from your spouse;
- Contract of participation and lease agreement.
Powers of attorney, prepared by a lawyer, are sent to the investor for signing. They can be signed at the nearest Portuguese embassy in the country of residence or at a personal meeting with a lawyer in Portugal.
The shareholding agreement can be signed at the time of arrival in Portugal for fingerprinting at the Portuguese immigration office.
After receiving the signed power of attorney, the lawyer will be able to obtain a tax number for the investor in Portugal (NIF - Número Identificação Fiscal) and open a bank account.
To open a bank account, the lawyer must provide the bank with:
- tax number;
- Proof of source of funds of the investor (certificate of income, certificate of receipt of dividends, etc.);
- Tax number from the country of residence.
It takes about a week to open a bank account. After that, a compliance review takes place, which can take 2-4 weeks. When the bank account is available for transactions, you will need to transfer the principal amount of the investment, the amount to pay the municipal tax on the purchase of real estate in Portugal, notary services and the fees of the immigration service (SEF).
The transfer must be made from the investor's main account from the country of residence.
When the funds are available in a Portuguese bank account, the lawyer will conduct the sale transaction. After that, the lawyer will request the missing documents for filing with the Portuguese Immigration Service. Namely:
- contract of sale;
- Certificate of criminal record from the country of residence (valid for 3 months);
- certificate of no criminal record of your spouse;
- Marriage certificate (valid for 6 months);
- children's birth certificates (valid for 12 months)
- Certificate of no criminal record for children over 16 years old;
- proof of financial dependency for children over 18 years of age;
- Birth certificate of the investor, if the parents will also be included in the immigration application;
- Proof of financial dependency if parents are under 65 years of age.
All documents are submitted to the SEF online. The analysis usually takes 3-5 weeks.
The certificate of no criminal record is only valid for three months, so we recommend doing it just before you apply, as SEF often asks to renew the document if it has expired.
After about a month, the lawyer will receive a message from the SEF that the application has been approved. The lawyer will then make an appointment with the SEF to fingerprint everyone involved in the process.
It is important that all participants arrive in the city of Porto, where Mercan's main office in Portugal is located, at least one business day before the scheduled date. For example, if the SEF meeting is scheduled for Monday, you need to have everyone in Porto by Friday. It is also important to make sure that all required documents are valid:
- certificate of no criminal record - 3 months valid;
- Marriage certificate - 6 months valid;
- Birth certificate - 12 months valid.
- The process usually looks like this:
the day before your appointment at the SEF, you will meet with a lawyer to sign documents and take copies of passports;
The next day the Mercan representatives will meet with you at the SEF to take your fingerprints and submit all the original documents.
after the meeting at the SEF, you will meet with the bank manager to obtain the bank card and online access to your account;
If the SEF office is not in Porto, the schedule is slightly different: Mercan representatives will meet you in the morning the day before the SEF meeting, you will sign the documents with a lawyer, meet with the bank manager, visit the property, have lunch and be taken to a hotel in the city where the SEF meeting is to take place.
It usually takes 3-4 months to approve resident cards at the Portuguese immigration office, but sometimes Once the lawyer receives a positive decision from the immigration office, the lawyer will make the payment for the cards and within 45 days the cards will be received at the Mercan office in Porto. The cards will then be shipped to the investor anywhere in the world by DHL or FedEX delivery services.
After that, the investor and all participants are free to enter the Schengen area and/or live in Portugal.
The residence cards will need to be renewed periodically. To do this, a lawyer will coordinate all necessary actions on your part and set a date for renewal of the residence when the deadline comes.
Five years after the first residence card is issued, you will be able to apply for Portuguese citizenship or permanent residency in Portugal.
The permanent residence is valid for 5 years, after that it is automatically renewed, but only suitable for those who plan to live in Portugal for more than 6 months per year. This is a prerequisite for the renewal of the permanent residence card.